Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur the contributors are theirs.
Project management systems. Know how. Delegation of tasks. Productivity hacks. We’ve all heard of a wide range of methods with the primary purpose of helping us establish and maintain a worthwhile and stable work rhythm.
After all, that’s what we aim for as entrepreneurs: to be able to successfully juggle all the business tasks we have on our lists every day. And while all of the tactics mentioned above are worth trying, today I’d like to offer an additional approach that turns out to be a lifesaver. I refer to our ability to focus and stay focused.
Because in reality, lack of focus can doom even the simplest tasks, turning even the most enjoyable days into disaster. Every entrepreneur’s lifestyle is already busy enough, so why not do our best to reduce the pressure as much as possible?
Related: 4 Daily Steps to Create Insane Levels of Focus, Confidence, and Productivity
We tend to underestimate the power of concentration
I’m sure we’ve all had days when lots of tasks are waiting to be done, but our ability to focus and focus seems missing from the equation. No matter how hard we try to maintain our focus, we find ourselves easily distracted by just about anything around us. Then, at the end of the day, we realize we haven’t accomplished much, only to find ourselves disappointed, bitter, and overwhelmed, dreading the next day.
But the problem with entrepreneurship or running our own business is that the work doesn’t seem to wait for our purpose to manifest. Tasks and duties pile up, making it harder and harder for us to put things in order.
When we fail to meet our standards, we often direct our attention to other factors – lack of time, failure in time management, poor organizational skills or lack of expertise. But sometimes the whole reason we’re behind with our schedule is simply due to a lack of focus. So the next time you feel inadequate or unable to do your job, check in with yourself first: are you showing some of the most typical signs of a decline in your level of concentration?
Related: How to Stay Focused: Train Your Brain
Don’t Worry: There Are Strategies to Improve Concentration
The next time we feel like we’re failing at the office, let’s stop for a minute and check to see if we’re witnessing some of the following types of behavior:
- We seem to be extremely forgetful, even things that happened an hour ago can seem vague and highly improbable.
- We find ourselves irritated by even the easiest tasks.
- Once experts in multitasking, today we can no longer imagine performing several tasks at the same time.
- We find it difficult to follow a subject, a conversation, a point of view or the opinion of anyone.
- We tend to sleep a lot.
- Our decision-making and problem-solving skills seem to have left the building.
- We need more details about the requirements of a task than before.
Related: Unwavering Focus Is Every Elite Entrepreneur’s Superpower
The list can go on and on, but the main point is that when we lack focus, we feel like we’re somewhere else completely missing out on the essentials of our current tasks. As frustrating as it can be, there are actually some helpful strategies that can help us regain our focus.
- Let’s make sure we get enough sleep and relax. I know being an entrepreneur and finding decent time to rest can be tricky, but I can’t stress this enough: relaxation should be anyone’s number one goal when it comes to taking care of self. When we’re sleep deprived, we tend to lose focus and our overall ability to demonstrate competence and expertise in the office. That minimum eight hours of sleep per night will make anyone a much better entrepreneur than a sleep-deprived weekly marathon of an endless workload.
- Engaging in frequent brain training is a must. The fact is, the more stressful our lives are, the faster our brains reach their daily capacity to process information. This is why engaging in training our brain from time to time is actually a great way to boost flexibility, abstract thinking, logic, and associative thinking. A great way to do this is by solving puzzles, crosswords, riddles, quizzes, etc.
- After work, let’s spend time outdoors as much as possible. If we really want to reboot and relax so we can be fresh and focused the next day in the office, a good idea would be to focus on spending time outdoors. Nature and fresh air have long been excellent sources of energy and relaxation.
- Maybe bullet journaling is more important than we think. It works both as a time management tactic and as a method of maintaining our focus. If the next day looks busy, you can always prepare in advance. We can use the bullet journal to list all the tasks we need to complete and categorize them in terms of urgency. In this way, we allow our brain to prepare and anticipate the tasks ahead.
Concentration is indeed a great tool that improves our ability to complete a task in a timely and appropriate manner. In entrepreneurship, we often have tons of tasks on a daily basis – if we risk losing focus, then our productivity will drop immensely. So, the next time we experience lack of focus, we should try to implement some of these strategies instead of minimizing our expertise.
#Simple #Strategies #Focus #Productivity #Success