I have been asked by family and friends how I can “stand” having a Slim Fast shake in the morning. I have never seen enjoying a Slim Fast Milk Chocolate shake as suffering. In fact, it’s my favorite time of the day. I’m a huge chocoholic and knowing I can satisfy that craving with a nutritious breakfast makes my mornings a little bit better. The Milk Chocolate Slim Fast Shake alone, with 8oz of fat free milk, is only 200 calories but packs a punch with 10g protein & 5g of fiber. I have always considered myself a rebel of sorts. When I enjoy a Milk Chocolate Slim Fast Shake I don’t just drink it plain. Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely love Milk Chocolate on it’s own. However, I love to kick up my breakfast shake a notch or two. Plus: Drinking the same thing everyday is boring! I’m always adding an additional flavor or two to my Milk Chocolate shakes. With a little creativity, and your pantry you can take a plain Milk Chocolate Slim Fast Shake to the next level without breaking the bank.
- Banana – Bananas are one of the best sources of potassium and are great for regulating bowel movements. Potassium helps lower blood pressure & maintain heart function.
- Strawberries – Not only are strawberries delicious but they are an antioxidant which packs a punch.
- Raspberries -Raspberries are low in calories but high in fiber & vitamin-c. Like the strawberry, raspberries are also antioxidants.
- Pumpkin – I’m not talking about the sweetened canned puree, but you can use that if you don’t mind missing out on some of the health benefits & added sugar. Pumpkins have more potassium in 1 cup of unsweetened puree than bananas.
- Cherries – Cherries are high in anti oxidants and contain melatonin.
- Hazelnut Butter – Hazelnuts are high vitamin-e. Vitamin-e is needed for maintaining healthy nails, hair, and skin.
- Peanut Butter - Peanut Butter is chocolate’s best known companion. One of Peanut Butter’s benefits is how high in protein it is.
- Almond Butter – Almond Butter is a popular alternative to Peanut Butter. Almond’s claim to fame is that this little nut contains heart healthy fats.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon helps lower blood sugar levels. Cinnamon is also linked to making a mean Mexican hot chocolate.
- Pumpkin Spice – Pumpkin Spice is cinnamon, all-spice, ginger, and nutmeg. It doesn’t specifically have a benefit other than it tastes delicious
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg is a spice that packs quite punch in the health benefit section. Nutmeg has been used to treat depression, aid in joint pain, and used for acne treatment. You need to use this spice in moderation because high amounts of nutmeg can be fata and if you’re pregnant there are studies linking spices to triggering miscarriages. I’m not an expert on pregnancies so do your own research.
- Chili Powder – Chilis are linked with being an anti inflammatory.
- Mint Leaves – Mint has been used in the past as a remedy for digestive issues & stomach pain. Mint is also used to help relieve nausea & headaches.
- Coffee grounds – Need an extra jump in your morning? Coffee contains caffeine. You can make your Milk Chocolate Slim Fast taste almost like a frozen mocha when you sprinkle in some of your favorite coffee grounds. 1-3 tablespoons should do. If you can’t handle caffeine but love the coffee taste (like yours truly) then substitute with Decaf.
Everything I’ve listed above has some sort of health benefit. I don’t follow the Slim Fast 3-2-1 Plan to the tea, but I use Slim Fast as foundation for my weight loss. With the flavors above you can make some really interesting shakes. Follow the directions on the back of the Slim Fast can to make a frozen shake. Add your ingredients, blend one more time, and voila! Need some inspiration? Here are some recipes I use with Milk Chocolate Slim Fast Shake:
Desiree’s SlimFast Shake Recipes
Milk Chocolate Shake+ 2tbs Peanut Butter + 1 Banana
Milk Chocolate Shake + 2tbs Hazelnut Butter + 2 Dashes Cinnamon
Milk Chocolate Shake + 1/2 cup sliced Strawberries + 1 Banana
Milk Chocolate Shake + 3 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree + 2 Dashes Pumpkin Spice
Milk Chocolate Shake + 1 Dash of Chili Powder + 2 tbs Decaf grounds
Milk Chocolate Shake + 1-2 Mint Leaves +1/2 cup sliced strawberries
Please Note: You don’t have to mix two flavors if you don’t want to. Most mornings I’m satisfied with Milk Chocolate Shake + 2tbs Peanut Butter.
Can Chocolate Royale be used instead of Milk Chocolate?
Chocolate Royale isn’t a personal favorite of mine but I have tried Chocolate Royale with Peanut Butter and Banana. You can tell the difference between Milk Chocolate but it is mighty tasty. Once I get another can of Chocolate Royal I’ll test all of my recipes above to see if they taste just as good as they do in Milk Chocolate.
Don’t hesitate in being creative. Shake up your morning routine with delicious flavor combinations. You might be surprised at what you discover.